WHAT IS DEVISED THEATRE?
Articles on Devised Theatre to Get You Inspired and Working
Devised Theatre National Prompt
Find Your Collaborators & A Faculty Mentor
Find the collaborators you want to work with from your school and get in a room and start making things. Reach out to
Make Some Theatre
The 2019 National Prompt:
TITLE: Entrance Without Papers is Forbidden.
Ensemble will select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.). Ensemble will be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed process and product, form and content.
Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece’s style and aesthetic.
Ensemble should consider time restraints and travel considerations. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.
- Approximately 16’X16’ playing space, ensemble determines audience placement & interaction
- Work lights up/down provided, any additional lighting will be ensemble-generated
- Regions provide electrical power, ensemble must provide all technical sources (music sources, extension cords, projector, clip lights, etc)
- 20 minute time limit which must include set-up, performance and strike
- Set up and strike can be part of the performance
- Contributions of the ensemble are to be balanced and evenly distributed
- Not every member of the ensemble must perform, but the majority should
- Faculty advisors may provide outside-eye feedback, but students should drive the work
- No live flame
- No smoking
- No functional weapons
- Each showing will be given a short response from regional faculty and/or devising guest artists.
- Each deviser will be expected to speak articulately about their work, displaying rigor of process and responsibility for form and content.
- Devising isn’t an aesthetic; it’s a process. This approach to creating new work includes multiple aesthetics, production value spectrums, and performance styles.
- Regions will only provide the space; ensembles must bring everything else. Be careful about making assumptions about availability of chairs, acting blocks, etc…
Intent to Participate:
To participate in Region 2, send an intent to participate email to Heather Benton at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 31st.
Deadline for submission – October 31, 2018.
* Schools may enter multiple groups for the devising project.
* Groups in Region 2 may choose to work with or without the National Prompt.
Devised Theatre Coordinator
Montclair State University